Monday, April 14, 2008

My run in with the 'Holy Family'

Okay, so today was the most amazing day I have had since I have been here. We got a private tour of the Sagrada Familia!!!! in english the Holy Family. And for those of you that don't know that is one of Antonio Gaudi's most famous work in the world. The Sagrada Familia towers over Barcelona's skyline, with only eight of its tweleve bell towers complete. The tour was given to us by the current head Architect on the project. Not his workers, the architect himself, and it was one of the most amazing things ever. Usually most tourist get to walk through the part of the church that is not covered in scafulding, but we got the behind the scenes tour. We started off in the main Naive of the church, and then got to ride the elevator to the highest completed point on the church, which is only about half as high as the finished structure will be. With hard hats and all we were allowed to explore, with some limitations the areas which are currently underconstruction. At some points we were visiting parts of the church that upon completion will still not be viewed or touched by people. I will say, that the ride up to the top of the Sagrada Familia made me very nervous and almost sick to my stomach, but after arriving at the top I was so excited to be there I forgot all about being just short of 100 meters in the air. So we went to La Sagrada Familia, with the current architect on the job and got a behind the scenes tour. Could you ask for anything more.

No comments: