Tuesday, March 4, 2008

All I know is that I know nothing

¨All I know is that I know nothing¨ - Socrates

Greece... well what can I saw it is pretty much an absolutely fantastic place. I have been spending the past few days in Athens seeing all the typical sights, meeting some very friendly people, having a blast with good friends, and most of all sketching my butt off!!!!!! Which I am actually starting to enjoy a lot more :-) Through my studies in Barcelona and abroad I am trying to examine my sketching techniques and build upon the skills that I currently have. It has been a constant struggle for me, such a stubborn person, to change her ways and look at another persons point of view. But I have been talking with some other students, from the Rome Program that have a slightly different perspective on things, and I have been forcing myself to look deeper into what I am doing. Athens has been an adventure from the start!!!! With the delay of my flight in the Barcelona airport to kick off what turned out to be an awesome trip. Being an architecture student stuck in an airport for an extra two hours, what could I possibly do with all that time? The only thing I had on me was a bag of clothes, a sketchbook, and some pens....oh that's right SKETCH! So that is what I did.

My first set of sketches on this trip I tried to completely abandon almost everything I have ever known about sketching. I wanted to start with basic shapes, and leave out all the pretty tones in order to examine the airport. I also wanted to try to portray a feeling with my sketch, which I am noticing is hard, unless you draw a pretty picture, which is what I am trying not to do. I noticed a lot of things about the airport that I thought would be interesting to analyse, and after much consideration I decided on connection. I started to contemplate drawing types which might be good for describing a connection between the frame of the wall and the glass, and I thought an exploded axon would be an interesting way to describe it. As my sketchbook page started to come together I thought that some tome would help the sketches become more clearly read, because the lines were a bit confusing. Slowly I added in a few tones, trying not to over due it and create another pretty picture. Itś very interesting to me that something I have done for ages could be so hard, so far I think the way you tone an analytical sketch could make the sketch more readable or a lot more confusing. I think my page turned out okay, but again I am still getting used to this style of drawing it is not something I particularly like, or would do in my free time, but I am starting to see some benefits of it. I feel as though I will not be satisfied with my sketches until I can analytically sketch as well as a draw what I see. When drawings are concerned I like perfecting and at this point in the words of my good friend Howra, I think my sketches are only ¨satisfactory¨. As soon as I get back to school I will be posting all my sketches, so that people can better understand what I am talking about.

Adios for now!

No comments: